« Home | The Aidilfitri Diaries » | That Peaches & Herb Song » | Bad Poetry (for lack of anything to say) » | Panic Attacks for Under-Medicated Slackers » | So the World Thinks I'm Nuts.......... » | Stars for Your Bucks » | And on the third day, God gave us J.D. » | Good Day » | Happy Meal for the Soul – the McMeaning of Life » | Breaking the Habit »

What a Difference Differences Make

Inspired by an article on the recent urban riots in France (Paying the Price of a Failed Integration by Craig S. Smith, New York Times)

It’s not the key. It’s a lock-pick. While I do not doubt that there is some truth in the solution offered above, I will say that I think it’s only a partial solution to what is an entirely large, age-old problem. Admittedly, realizing what we all share in common is instrumental towards racial, religious and cultural harmony but it is also only the first step. We need to move on towards recognizing our differences and celebrating them, not set them aside, sweep them under the carpet or bury them in the basement (and of course, not use it as an excuse to deny the other the rights and privilege that we ourselves enjoy). To turn a blind eye as to how another person differs from you is to disregard vital elements that makes up a person’s identity in its entirety, to discredit the person as a whole being, – we are who we are but we are also who the other is not. In my humble opinion, racism and all manner of prejudice is not only discrimination based upon an over-emphasis on differences but also, the complete non-acknowledgement of it. It offends me when people say they choose to be color-blind to a person’s skin tone, to a person’s race – I’m brown and I’m proud; it might not be the only thing that I am but it makes up a significant part of who I am and for someone to say that they are blind to the fact that I might come from another racial, religious and cultural background that is different from theirs is like saying that they are blind towards me.

The recent urban riots in France, involving children of immigrants is proof that the French government’s failure to recognize differences and diversity in their policies has resulted in an unsuccessful integration process. The New York Times article mentioned above stated that “…..France provides little money or support for ethnic or religious-based organizations………………the Government has suppressed cultural expression like the Muslim veil in schools, leading to a sense of alienation among French-Arab and French-African youth. Despite vaunted ideals, immigrants feel ghettoized and abandoned.” The article also quotes Patrick Weil, a Paris-based expert on immigration and integration for the German Marshall Fund as saying, “The picture of France as a country that doesn’t want to recognize diversity – that’s partially true.”

I’m not one to usually comment on another country’s internal affairs, particularly one that I’ve never lived in and only visited once (for a week) in my life but the problem here is not just France’s problem, but an issue which is prevalent throughout the world (including mine), albeit in varying degrees of severity. So I suppose, I do have some right to throw in my two cents worth of thought regarding the matter.

From what I understand, France prides itself on being a role model of secularism for the global community. While I myself am more or less in support of the separation of State and Religion; for me, religion is a personal matter; I do not believe that the State should become the only religion for the people. France’s decision to ban the Muslim headscarf from schools is an affront to one’s right as a human being – the freedom of expression and the freedom to practice one’s beliefs. I don’t wear a headscarf myself and I would not appreciate being forced against my will by any form of human authority to wear one but I also wouldn’t appreciate it if I wasn’t allowed the option of wearing one, if one had to choose between getting an education and fulfilling what one might consider one’s religious duties. When you think about it, this brand of purist secularism, of uniformity brings the big, dirty C-word to mind (well, according to the United States it’s dirty) – Communism, something which most of the world fought so hard against in the 20th century but since Sept. 11, has been learning further and further towards, not in an economical aspect (no, no everyone still wants to be richer than their next door neighbor. Start wars for control over lucrative oil supply all in the name of democracy, won’t you? Yes, US, I’m talking about you!) but in social, cultural and religious aspects.

What is so wrong with recognizing diversity? How liberated can we be if we are not allowed to be different, nor gain acceptance in choosing to be so? And most importantly, what harmony will there be without diversity and liberation?

A little bird of answers whispers in my ears, “None at all, my dear. None at all.”

|