« Home | Why did Maryam cross the road? For the sake of a l... » | Pimp My Band: INXS » | Aidilfitri Pt. II featuring Harry Belafonte » | Advertising Forgiveness » | Channeling Chanel » | The Beautiful Masochists » | What a Difference Differences Make » | The Aidilfitri Diaries » | That Peaches & Herb Song » | Bad Poetry (for lack of anything to say) »

Delivering Bananas

I’ve been delivering bananas.

No, really, I have. And it’s not a metaphor.

I’ve driven to 4 States in 2 days delivering boxes and boxes of solar-dried a.k.a soft, dehydrated bananas and mangoes. My dad, currently dubbed by his friends as the Banana King, recently ventured into the food processing business, specializing in solar-dried local fruits, mostly bananas. Here, I will act the Banana Pimp and give you my sales pitch on why solar dried bananas are superior to the traditional local specialty of smoked bananas or banana chips: it’s healthier – no added sugar, no oil, no smokey, carcinogenic flavor and retains more nutrients than conventional processing methods. And the company’s also socially responsible. One of its mission statements is to better the income of the country’s rural community. For example, the Selandar Banana used is usually sold at 40 cents but the company buys it at 80 cents from small, local farmers as to encourage growth and support small-time farmers in the local agricultural industry which is currently struggling to compete with err…whatyoumccallit …..big, plantation companies. Single mothers with no professional training who have difficulty attaining decent jobs to support themselves and their children are hired, paid handsomely and given flexible hours. It’s all very noble indeed, which is why I decided to be a part of it.

Did I mention that I was also getting paid? Not as much as I would like to but more than I would by sitting at home in my pajamas watching Brooke get pregnant for the 632nd time on Bold & the Beautiful. Of course, I mentioned to my dad that it’s very socially un-responsible of him to use child labor. He looks at me and goes, “But you’re 20!” Yes, but I’m still someone’s child for god’s sake!

And my sister says, “Think about it, Maryam, if you help out dad in becoming the Banana King, we’ll be the Banana Heiresses.” Oh yeah, the Malaysian Paris & Nikki Hilton, only without the fancy hotels. Just bananas. That’s Hot.

And I say, yes, Good Girls Go to Heaven, Dried Bananas Go Everywhere.

Now excuse me, I’ve got some bananas to deliver.

|